How many words should be on a page of an Amazon book? According to a study of over 900 writers, a book on Amazon has an average of 233 words per page for nonfiction and 280 words per page for fiction books. This value is affected by font size and other things.
The average book page length for novels produced by established publishing houses is 250-300 words.
We've heard statistics ranging from 200 to 500 words per page in the past – authors may be all over the place when it comes to producing books. We sought to discover a more trustworthy solution since we are nerds (and proud of it).
So we sent out a survey to writers on the Kindlepreneur email list and received over 900 replies, aiming to determine the average number of words per page reported by Amazon.
We acquired 233 words per page for nonfiction and 280 words per page for fiction from real-life authors like you.
The Importance of Words Per Page
Why is it important to know how many words are on each book page? An Amazon book's number of words per page can help you earn promotions and readers. Here's how it's done:
- For promotions. The number of words on each page helps you determine how long your book or nonfiction piece must be in order to reach a given page count on Amazon. Book length is critical if you're seeking promotions that need you to be above a particular number of pages.
- For readers. The quantity of words per page in a book also assists you in determining how many total words you need to write in order to generate work that matches reader expectations in your genre. The average word count varies according to genre. Readers may pass it over if your book is longer or shorter for its category.
Are 30,000 words enough for a book? Thirty thousand words are plenty for a novella, but it is too short for most fiction novels or nonfiction books.
As you can see, the proper quantity of words on each page is critical to its success.
How Amazon Determines the Page Count of a Book
Let's begin by understanding how Amazon determines the number of pages it reports for a book.
When you upload a physical book to Amazon, the number of pages in the largest area of the physical book counts toward the total page count.
There is a standard for how publishing firms print books. Most conventional publishers print 250-300 words per page on paper, comparable to the quantities we're dealing with for Amazon publication.
If your book has numerous paginations, such as i-xii, 1-348, and then i-xx, Amazon will list it as 348 pages. They will utilize this number for both your physical and eBooks for the benefit of efficiency.
This distinction is critical, especially if you have numerous volumes in a box set.
Pro Tip: The page count of your book on Kindle will always be lower than the real book. Checking the figures against one another is worthwhile.
Check the number of pages indicated when you upload a print book. If Amazon does not automatically update your Kindle pages to reflect the page count of your print book (which happens from time to time), contact support and let them know. They'll fix it right now.
All of this begs the question: why isn't each book's 'words per page count as a fixed figure if Amazon utilizes settings that closely resemble a real book? The responses we obtained from the survey conducted with Kindlepreneur writers varied greatly.
Factors Influencing the Word Count Per Page
The number of words per page reported by authors varied greatly, as seen in the survey findings below, ranging from 100 to 400 words per page. Why is this the case?
This sort of variance is caused by a few factors:
- The number of characters on a page. Individual letters and symbols, not book characters. Some words include more letters than others, and some writing has more spaces in a phrase than others.
- Pictures, tables & graphs. Pictures appear to be worth a thousand words – they occupy more pages in a book. If you add images or drawings to your book, it will most certainly be lengthier.
- Dialogue. Some literature, such as science fiction or epic fantasy books, has a lot of dialogue. This results in long paragraphs and takes up more page space without adding additional words. These genres are also generally lengthier than the usual book.
- Content density per paragraph. Legal literature and comparable works typically have longer paragraphs than modern publications. This enhances the density of the material by using fewer line breaks, which may result in higher page counts.
- Types of books and their structure. Graphic novels, low-content books (such as diaries or inspirational quote books), and children's books often utilize fewer words and more visuals and space.
There are a variety of reasonable reasons why the number of words per page in a book might vary greatly.
How many words should my book contain?
If you're interested in more than simply words per page, we also have information on pages per book.
We are frequently asked if 25,000 words are enough for a book. Twenty-five thousand words may be sufficient for shorter works such as a novella or short story collection.
If you want to publish a longer work, a 90,000-word novel is typical in the fiction industry, and 50,000 is typical in the nonfiction field.
What is the word count of a 200-page book? A 200-page book in the traditional publication is around 60,000 words, assuming 300 words on each page.
However, as you'll see below, you may change the number of words per page by using some of my favourite formatting tricks.
We divided bestselling word counts by sub-genre to assist you in determining the appropriate length for your work. We have you covered whether your work is for young adults or middle grades or is inspired by a great author.
Before you hit the digital presses, you’ll want to ensure your grammar, punctuation, and style. We recommend Amazon Publishing Hub to assist with your editing process, and we even have a discount for you.